Friday, July 11, 2008

Only a few more days until

The other day I accidentally deleted a post I had spent the better part of an hour on, just as I was putting on the finishing touches. It was all about my extended family and our shared idiosyncrasies -our eccentricities.
I write this in Denver Colorado while I stay with my Aunt Julie, the far flung colonist of the Manion family. About five years ago she married a good friend of hers. His name is Eric, and on occasion he bears an uncanny resemblance to a government teacher I had in highschool, with the exception of some glaring differences. This is something only a Northpointe Alumni would appreciate.
Kids: imagine a laid-back Mr. Anderson, twenty years younger. Now imagine he's a staunch democrat with a dark tan and an affinity for both sailing and a good bottle of wine. Now understand how hilarious I find the irony in their resemblance.
Colorado has kept me busy, despite the dry heat I find alienating being from muggy old Michigan. I truly am no longer in the Midwest. The people here are significantly more laid back -even friendly. Everybody seems to lead an active life-style. Everybody has a dog. Denver chicks are hot.
But I find myself less apt to think, write and read in this environment. I miss the afternoons of reading that Glen Arbor, and the mornings of poetry in Chicago. Instead my days are filled with trips to Red Rocks, rafting, and mountain biking. I have been traveling for a while now, and have been enjoying myself immensely for the most part.
But I am eager to return to my reading and writing, and my friends whom I have not seen in what seems like ages.
But I also find myself eagerly awaiting the shifts in lifestyle I see as completely voluntary -just another path through the woods that will lead to the road. This all comes with the gradual search for your own identity that in turn comes with moving out and growing up. I am eager to grow. The movement is now.

A few days ago, I left the briefest of posts on my blog for the briefest of hours. It simply contained the lines from a movie I saw a few days ago; words that had stuck in my mind as fodder for thought.
"What do you want out of life, my son?"
"Sorry?"
"What do you want? A shot at the title...or a seat by the band?"
Is the title ours to shoot for, to stand the chance of gaining or losing more than we can possibly imagine? Or are we removed from the ring, cheering or helping those others claim what is theirs? I submit that for now, the only answer I have is the response the character in the movie gave.
"That's a very expansive question."

No comments: