Thursday, April 30, 2009

Today I...

Today I said farewell to Intern Josh. His time is up - his wings are spreaded.
Today I spent the afternoon running downtown with Mike Tatu. We went to the apartment over The Bitter End. The couple who live there are moving to Washington State with their baby. For School. With the help of the Husband and the guy who lives across the hall, we carried a small piano down the narrow stairs and out the door. Two guys from behind the counter of the delicatessen next door helped us lift into the waiting, bright-yellow, cargo van. We drove to Mike's condo - and the piano tipped over twice. Scott Townley helped us move it from the van into Mike's living room.
I got lost on the way to Jay's house. I traveled in a wide looping circle over the Alaska, Lowell, and Caledonia borders. Twice.
Scott and I ran errands with Jay.
We drove with Mr. Kamphuis to the air-port and saw Jay off to South Africa.
(I am the dropper off-er and the picker-upper, never the traveler, but my time will come.)
I wrote a letter to Sarah.
And now I pack - choose which to abandon, and save that which is dear.
For a season has ended and another has begun.
And I must lighten my load in order to be ready for what comes next.
I fight the urge to burn half and donate the rest.
I loved - and talked, and listened, and failed to do all three of these in varying amounts as well.
I grew a little taller.
I wrote this.
You read it.

1 comment:

Patricia Sully said...

andrew manion. i am a huge fan of you. i can't wait to read your books someday. because you should be writing books. xoxo.