Monday, November 24, 2008

And now we grab the circus wheel...

My philosophy research paper was assigned 2 months ago.

I had only picked it up every now and then, only to set it down because it stressed me out up until last Friday. Work officially began yesterday at 5 p.m. I took a 4 hour brake at 8:30 to go to Evensong and get coffee with Nick and Kris afterward. Guy talk. I saw it as more important, and I maintain the ruling even now.

Work recommenced, went until 4:00, wherein I finished my works cited page and found myself oddly satisfied despite my C- paper. I was in bed by 4:30, and set my alarm clock to 7:00 in order to get up and do homework for my Com class. Needless to say, I rolled over a few times and it was 8:00. The intervening time was spent in a motley combination of Snooze hitting, mass disorientation and vivid dreams of Sunday School teachers getting into vehement debates over the props i had created for the week.

Some were intensely dissatisfied and demanded changes on the spot because they transgressed some crucial theological issue that their conservative seminary schooling had clearly stipulated against. "No, you don't understand! This is a serious infringement of this or that obscure tenet! We surely cannot say we endorse that theology..."

The other Sunday School teachers maintained that it was not all that serious of an issue, but they had never gone to seminary and were unsure of themselves in this argument.


I know, right?


I woke up, tossed some eggs on the stove, drank some weak tea, whipped through my homework in order to don the same clothes I wore yesterday, not take a shower, and sprint out the door.

Communications was canceled.

But now I have two hours to write, and stare out the widows at the rather pretty snow falling.

As I walked to class this morning, I was alone on the sidewalk. No other walkers or bike riding commuters. The cold has driven them in. When I went outside last night, just to stand out in the 4:00 Eastown morning, I was alone, save for somebody howl-singing a somewhere near and yet distant.

I am at peace.

Grand Rapids sleeps in under thick blankets.

No comments: