Monday, November 10, 2008

My Cousin Dylan

Dylan and I were close growing up. Just a year and a half older than me, we wrestled on trampolines and in basements on Thanksgivings, Christmases and Easters for as long as I can remember.

He was always stronger, always faster, always beating my brother and I in backyard football. In hide-and-seek he was nowhere to be found. He ran cross-country and went to state his Sr. year of High School. Division One.

Funny? I thought he was hysterical. Homecoming King. Popular. Good looking. The girls adored him. He worked at either Abecrombie or American Eagle for what felt like a year in High School -I can't remember which. His graduation open house was more like a block party.

My freshmen year he was close friends with the girl I had a massive, heart-bleeding crush on. I sat in his room one afternoon, slumped in some teenage fit of moodiness, staring at the pictures on his wall of them on spring break together in some tropical location.

Last April I was at the surprise birthday of that same girl -we're friends now. A sister of one her friends went to high school with Dylan, and asked what he was "doing these days."

I told her he was in Fallujah with the Marine Corps -And he was.

This Saturday he came home, safe and sound. I did not know how much I loved him until he came out of his gate, and hugged each family member in turn.

Corporal Dylan Manion, just off a tour of duty with the Scout Snipers. Fresh from the sands of Iraq and freezing in this premature November snow.

We left the airport, my massive family choking the streets in entourage, and ate pizza on a long row of tables in a restaurant in East Kentwood.

Dylan was generous in answering the probings of his Aunts and Uncles, though as a whole somewhat tight lipped. As much can be expected. Between appetizers and the entree he held his baby niece for the first time.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, he will be in Afghanistan before his twenty third birthday come this September.

Though he is safe and out of harms way for the time being, I am worried about him. How he is inside. What wounds we cannot see, and how what he has seen will be processed in time.

While we sat around the tables, eating and laughing as an extended family, celebrating the return of a grandchild, a nephew, a cousin, a brother, and to one of us, and uncle, there was across town a funeral for another veteran of the same war who came home too, but didn't make it after all. I know this because my father was asked to do the funeral and had to say no.

I love my cousin Dylan. Now I pray for him every night.

1 comment:

Dylan Manion said...

Just now seeing this for the first time. Your the man Andrew. I love you dude.